Disability Services FAQs

Get answers to your disability services questions regarding the application process, eligibility for accommodations, medical concerns or changes to your school schedule. 

Accommodations process/eligibility

Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor to discuss your potential eligibility for reasonable accommodations based on your specific circumstances.

You may fax, scan and email, or mail back your forms. If you must complete the forms electronically, please contact a Disability Services Advisor for further instruction.

Yes. Accommodations forms can be sent by postal mail. However, the University is not responsible for any delays in delivery time. Accommodations usually do not go into effect until the Disability Services Office has received all of your completed signed copies of the required application forms.

No. The Disability Services Office can only accommodate you for conditions that limit you due to your own diagnosis or treatment.

All students must abide by the University’s attendance policy. There are no exceptions based on documented disabilities. Please contact your academic representative to discuss your options for attendance, which may include rescheduling or dropping a course.

Complimentary information and materials are available by calling the U.S. Department of Justice ADA Information Line at 800.514.0301 (voice) or 800.514.0383 (TTY). For more information please visit http://www.ada.gov/infoline.htm.

No. The University provides reasonable accommodations to eligible students with disabilities at no charge.

No. Check with your Finance Advisor or Apollo Financial Services. Outside agencies may provide support such as vocational rehabilitation, workers’ compensation and job services. Veterans Affairs may also be able to assist if you are an eligible veteran.

Faculty members

The Disability Services Office cannot communicate with faculty members until you have completed the application process and have a formal Student Accommodation Agreement in place.

Once you have formal accommodations, the Disability Services Office will notify the faculty member of the agreed-upon accommodations but will not disclose your medical condition/disability. You may find it helpful to touch base with your faculty member as you start a class — although this is not required — to ensure a common understanding of the accommodations.

Faculty members cannot refuse to implement the terms of a student’s Accommodation Agreement. If you believe that your accommodations are not being properly implemented, please contact your Disability Services Advisor immediately. Many times, these situations are due to miscommunication. Faculty members are trained regarding their disability services responsibilities and receive formal notification of accommodations for any eligible students in their classes.

Changes to schedule/accommodations

Typically, your accommodations will follow you. However, please notify your Disability Services Advisor of any changes you are making to your course schedule, including campus changes, as there may be additional issues to work through to ensure you are receiving the agreed-upon accommodations. The Disability Services Office will follow up with you if any additional steps are required.

Because reasonable accommodations are based on each student's individual circumstances, changes might be made to accommodations for students who change from a local campus to online, or from online to a local campus. Please notify your Disability Services Advisor when you do make changes to your campus location so that your advisor can address how your accommodations may need to be modified.

Accommodations are based on your current medical condition. If you are receiving accommodations and your medical condition changes, please contact your Disability Services Advisor immediately. Your advisor will request verification supporting your request for additional accommodations. Once the additional agreed-upon accommodations are determined, the Disability Services Office will complete an updated Student Accommodation Agreement form that will require your signature.


This is determined on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor to discuss your specific situation.

This is determined on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor to discuss your specific situation.

The medical verification can be provided by any diagnosing professional whose education and licensure supports the field related to the disability he or she is verifying. For instance, a psychologist or psychiatrist can verify mental health conditions, and a medical doctor can verify medical conditions. The Disability Services Office also accepts certain other options for options for documentation.

This is determined on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor to discuss your specific situation.

Even if your doctors do not have a diagnosis, you may still qualify for reasonable accommodations. In order to make that determination, the Disability Services Office requires verification of your situation and your limitations.

Pregnancy and childbirth are not typically considered a disability unless they have the effect of limiting a major life activity; however if you are missing classes due to pregnancy/childbirth you may be eligible for an excused absence pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. This determination must be made on a case-by-case basis. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor or TitleIX@phoenix.edu.

Learning disabilities

University of Phoenix does not provide testing services to identify a learning disability. You’re encouraged to contact your family doctor or other diagnosing professional for referrals. Diagnosing professionals are individuals who are licensed and properly credentialed in their fields of expertise.

An IEP can be considered reasonable documentation in the postsecondary environment. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor to discuss your specific documentation.

You may need to provide a dated clinical evaluation completed as an adult or one that reflects your current disability and limitations. The evaluation should include an academic recommendation. You’re generally required to provide current or adult-based learning disability testing results, as learning disabilities can change over time. Please contact your Disability Services Advisor to discuss your specific documentation.

Resolution Agreement

Regarding Assistive Technology

University of Phoenix and the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) entered into a Resolution Agreement under which the University reaffirms its commitment to ensure independent and equal access to its programs, benefits and services for all students.

A link to the Resolution Agreement (PDF 310KB) is provided.

Get started here

or call us at866.766.0766

Transition to College

We've compiled some helpful advice to assist you with the transition from high school to college through the Disability Services Office.